July 20, 2012

Jack's Nursery

Let me give a little update first... I'm 38 weeks! Time was going by really fast until about 36 weeks, and now it is going SO SLOW. Mike and I just cannot wait for Jack to finally come. Last night Mike gave Jack a little pep talk and told him to hurry on out :) 

Everything is ready for him to come, and I mean everything. So now we are just waiting to see what happens! My OB said he thinks I will go into labor before my due date, so we will see :) Luckily I haven't been feeling very sick at all. My heartburn has gone way down, so now I just struggle with sleeping and I feel tired all of the time. But I would take that over feeling sick any day!

Here is a side note about Jack's room. There are a few things in his room that have come from my Grandma Kit. She passed away Oct. 29th 2011, and I have been feeling extremely close to her during this pregnancy. I got pregnant with Jack just a couple weeks after she passed, and I feel like she has been spending some good time with him in heaven before he comes down here. I love that I have some of her things to put in his room!

Okay, here are the pictures of the nursery!




We did a subtle travel theme, so we decorated with maps, ships, airplanes, trains, and other little mementos of travel. Here are some highlights of projects I did:

I re-wired the lamp fixture in the corner, converting it from a ceiling light into one I could plug in. Since we are renting I didn't want to wire a new light through the ceiling. I made the triangle banner across the top with some fabric scraps.


I sewed the blanket for his crib, along with the bed skirt. The bed skirt is actually just a strip of fabric with magnets sewn into the top, so it just attaches to the front of the mattress support. The luggage in the corner is a collection of new things I bought, luggage from an antique store, and luggage from my Grandma Kit. By the way, the sheep skin rug was a steal of a deal at Ikea.


This is the ruler growth chart I made, inspired by Pinterest. Everyone has asked why I chose "Brisby & Sons  Co." as the brand of the ruler. Well honestly I thought it sounded good, but I got the name Brisby from The Secret of Nimh :)


Mike and I found this dresser on KSL. It was dark brown and stained, so we completely refinished it along with new hardware. It was a lot of work but I think it turned out great! Not to mention we saved a lot of money by refinishing this piece rather than buying a new one with the style I wanted. The total cost for the dresser along with supplies to refinish was around $150.


I painted the blue lines on the lamp to give it more of a nautical theme. The blue travel journal belonged to my Grandma Kit :) It has her notes from her fun adventures in Europe.


I had a hard time finding a way to incorporate trains, so I decided to paint one onto a pillow. I found a graphic I liked online, traced it onto the fabric, and painted it with just acrylic paint.


I made this Jack sign by taking old pieces of driftwood and gluing them onto black backing. Also on the shelf below you can see all of the shells and rocks that Mike and I gathered from the beach in Carlsbad, CA on our recent vacation.


Well I hope you enjoyed that little tour through the nursery! 

2 comments:

  1. You're seriously such a good little decorator! Love every bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, Love, Love the Grandma Kit things. I knew there would have to be something of hers that would work since you were using blue! What a treasure to have her travel journal from Europe. I'm so glad she traveled so much and experienced all she did. Katherine is there now.
    Love you,
    Aunt Julia

    ReplyDelete